Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March 21, 2011-Snowy Morning-Pileated Woodpeckers


I love the look on this BlueJay. He seems to be saying, "what the heck is this?"


Snowy morning. We got about two inches of wet snow. Then it turned into light rain but it didn't all melt away by evening like I thought it would. Most of it did though.


The birds were so happy that spring is here and now they have to deal with more snow.


Just thought I'd take a photo of these tracks. One is from the Red-Winged Black Bird and the others are the squirrels'.




I've only seen a few of these birds. They came with the Starlings when it was snowing. Saw a Grackle also but didn't get a picture of him. But soon there will be plenty of those around.


This chipmunk sure is stretching to see something out there..ha! A black cat has been hanging around here again. He likes to hunt here. He lives down the street.


And here was my favorite bird to see ! I've never seen a pair of them together so this was exciting for me. I love Pileated woodpeckers. I took some video of them and that's on Youtube.


Wish the photos were better but at least I got some of them.

5 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I sat in intense cold last winter to get a shot on these beauties. I just read they make a retangular hole in a tree.

The Retired One said...

The Pileated is one of my favorite birds...they never let me get close shots. ha

Ginnymo said...

I might see them once in a year if I'm lucky. I got real lucky this time to have been looking out the window at the right time.

rainfield61 said...

I am stretching my body too in order to get my energy back.

Book said...

Fantastic photo and caption. Bravo!